North essex mini tour
Date tbc as a conflict has arisen - please ignore dates below
After a late cancellation in 2017, Pobsy and a few other lost 'Peckers descended into North Essex for a long weekend of games, food and drink. Over this weekend Pobsy kindly gave consent and support for a mini tour to Essex the following year.
Local village side Bures CC, based on the banks of the River Stour have agreed to an all day fixture on Saturday 26th, and other fixtures on the Friday or the Sunday are also potentially on the cards, as well as a golf match and tennis competition.
The weekend has a bank holiday on the Monday, and Aunty Pippa Holme has kindly agreed to let the 'Peckers reside at the Old Rectory in Aldham for the weekend. Unfortunately AP is away in the USA for a wedding.
Friday 25th May - meet at kelvedon's sun inn (45 mins from liverpool st) - 6-6.30pm ish
- 9 Hole golf match at Braxted Park - a small, easy yet picturesque course 3 min drive from Kelvedon. (Lift from station in pecker packer)
- Pub supper at the Old Crowne Inn at Messing - a classic village drinking hole with fantastic food - run by locals who bought it off Greene King 4 years ago... arguably the best pub in Essex.
- Retire to the Old Rectory, Aldham.
- Latecomers can take the train to Marks Tey (one stop on from Kelvedon) if they are missing the golf and supper.
Saturday 26th May, 11am - Game vs Bures CC
- 10.30am Meet at Bures CC, Vicarage Meadow, Bures, Suffolk CO8 5BX
- Declaration game with Lunch and Tea at the club
- Post game diving competition into the Stour
- Pints at the Eight Bells
- Evening meal TBC - possible night out in local Colchester or Long Room Hog Roast (Pool House) Party with the wand...
Monday 28th May - R+R and return to London
- Likely post breakfast walk to the Swann at Chappel under the Victorian Railway Viaduct
- Possibility for stragglers round of golf
- Departures back to London
- Organised tourers welcome to stay the night and catch the commuter train into London straight to work on Tuesday morning (50min commute to Liverpool St)
- Henry's Room - 1 x double (2) + 1 x single (1)
- Simon's Room - 1 x single (1)
- Poppy's Room - 1 x double (2) + 1 x single (1)
- David's Room - 1 x double (2) + 1 x double mattress on floor (2)
- Woofer's Room - 1 x single (1)
- Master Stables - 2 x single (2)
- Guest Stables - 2 x single (2)
- Pool House - sofa benches
- Main House - airbeds, mattresses and sofas
16 definite beds - able to increase with prior warning.
Food + Help
- Friday - Pub Supper
- Saturday - Breakfast at Rectory, Lunch and Tea at Bures, Dinner at Rectory (Possible Curry)
- Sunday - Breakfast at Rectory, Lunch TBC, Gala Dinner at Rectory
- Monday - Breakfast at Rectory, Lunch TBC -
- We will employ a gappy to be a pair of hands for the weekend - help needed to strip and change beds, and tidy and clean house on departure.
What to bring + Logistics
The Rectory is located just above Marks Tey which has regular trains to London (50mins) and also connects the main line to Bures Cricket Club via a branch line that runs once per hour.
Aldham is a 1.5 hr drive from London or 2hr at rush hour.
We will have the Pecker Packer on duty over the weekend, which can fit 12 for the sake of short journeys. C' de la D' may take cricket bags off playing peckers the weekend beforehand in order to lessen their load for the travel out to Essex.
Peckers welcome to arrive anytime on Friday afternoon. Or meet at the ground on Saturday morning if coming straight from London.
- Bring a tennis racquet if you are serious - if not we have plenty, though some are wooden.
- Swimming stuff - unless you are Pukey Joe or Windy
- Golf clubs if you are serious (would be good to have anyone driving bring a set of clubs - I have a half decent set plus masses of old clubs, however it would be good to get some more - can be brought to the pre tour game the weekend before to transfer to David if this helps)
- Outfit for Sunday GALA dinner (dress code TBC - fancy dress of some sort?)
Sunday 27th MAy - Game Day + Gala dinner
Sunday depending on the tour attendees preference, there may be the possibility of another game, however other options include:
- Tennis tournament (on grass court)
- Capture the keg and other long distance games
- Croquet, Table Tennis, Pool, Darts and Swimming gala (pukey joe fav)
- Victor Ludorum (organised for the whole tour weekend- Pobsy special?)
Then a GALA Dinner in the evening, with Lobster Thermadore, prizes and a lengthly POBSY SPEECH... into the night with all the treats one can imagine...